I am amused by the narrative being circulated by the UDP and other parties who are hand in glove with the conspirators, the BJP with an attempt to impress our people that they are the messiah and the protectors of our indigenous people through their well-orchestrated bluff. They definitely have been given coaching by the conspirators themselves, the BJP. Let me ask them the following questions:
- Is it not a fact that the Citizenship Amendment Bill 2016 was introduced in the Lok Sabha by the BJP and the BJP allies including Shri Conrad Sangma on the 19 of July2016?
- Is it not a fact that the BJP led NEDA had discussed this CAB in its meeting on the 24th June 2016?
- Is it not a fact that NPP and UDP were partners in plotting with BJP to strengthen the BJP and demolish Congress governments so that BJP can rule us like dictator?
- Is it not a fact that the NPP and the UDP were in deep slumber and woke up suddenly only when the people of the NE regions came to the streets to stop CAB from becoming an Act?
- Is it not a fact that the BJP led NDA government bulldozed the CAB in the Lok Sabha inspite of strong protests coming from the whole NE states?
- Is it not a fact that both the NPP and the UDP continued to remain with the BJP led NEDA and are still in the government with the BJP?
- Is it not a fact that NPP and other regional parties along with the honourable CM engaged in drama and took a delegation not once but twice to tell the world that they are garnering support to convince the BJP and their allies not to pass the CAB in the Rajya Sobha and never was given an audience by the honourable PM, Shri Narendra Modi?
- Is it not a fact that the Business Advisory Committee of the Rajya Sabha led by senior members of Congress and other allies ensured that the CAB was not included in the list of business of the house (Rajya Sabha) during the last session and Mr Conrad Sangma shamelessly took credit only to get a slap in the face as NDA government managed to use the Chairman, Shri Venkaiah Naidu to add as additional list of bills to be considered during the session?
- Is it not a fact that the Indian National Congress issued a WHIP to all Congress MPs of Rajya Sabha to vote against the CAB and defeat the bill?
- Is it not a fact that the CAB could not be discussed in the Rajya Sabha and got lapsed only because the Congress led Opposition took up the corruption charges against the PM and the NDA government and with repeated adjournments ultimately the house could not discuss anything but was adjourned sine die?
- Is not a fact that the honourable CM , Shri Conrad Sangma was quick in taking credit to fool our people only to be again slapped in the face as the BJP president, Shri Amit Shah in their party rally, reiterated their determination to bring back the CAB if voted back to power again in the general election 2019?
- Now with the BJP’s determination to bring back CAB, will the NPP or the UDP be capable of stopping Shri Narendra Modi, Shri Amit Shah and the BJP?
- How many MPs do the NPP and the UDP have in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha respectively?
- On the contrary, is it not a fact that the NPP help the BJP to increase their strength in the Rajya Sabha by electing one more BJP MP (Rajya Sabha) from Manipur in 2017? Is it the way for NPP and UDP to stop the BJP when they themselves are helping BJP to increase their MPs in Rajya Sabha?
- If it is not the Indian National Congress led alliance to stop the BJP, can mushrooming party like the NPP and the UDP stop the BJP from going ahead with their determination to bring back the CAB?
- Is it not a fact that the Indian National Congress have always stood by the vulnerable communities like ours, the indigenous ethnic communities and brought number of laws to protect us?
- Is it not a fact that the Indian National Congress has declared its commitment to stop further consideration of infamous Citizenship Amendment Bill and defeat the BJP agenda?
- Is not a fact that the Indian National Congress has promised that issue pertaining to the CAB will be included in the Manifesto of the Congress during the general election 2019 where it will be indicated, with complete clarity, that the Indian National Congress will stand by the people of the north eastern region and stop further consideration of the CAB?
It is pertinent to be noted that INC have constituted Manifesto Committee and have engaged in broad consultations across the country and I am leading the sub- group on “ regional issues, migration and immigration issues, state-centre relations and border issues “ The CAB has been discussed by the Manifesto committee and final discussion was also held in a meeting with the honourable Congress President and the party will include the CAB in its Manifesto wherein it will be indicated with complete clarity that the INC will stop further consideration of CAB and defend the people of the north east. The INC also acknowledges the contributions of the people of the frontier states of the north east and stand committed to protect the interests of the people of the region for the overall growth and prosperity of the Nation.
The honourable Congress President will address a Congress rally tomorrow at Guwahati and coming on the specific invitation of the North East Congress Coordination Committee (NECCC) where he will declare the commitment of the INC, under his leadership, to stop further consideration of the CAB.
Dr. Mukul Sangma,